We give you a breakdown of the best choline supplements available. Find out as we uncover the benefits of different sources of choline and how they work.
Choline, a component of phosphatidylcholine, is a water-soluble essential nutrient that was first discovered in the early 1800s.
It is most commonly found in food, including meats, fish, eggs, and dairy products.
Choline is necessary for the production of acetylcholine (ACh), a neurotransmitter involved in memory, learning, and muscle control.
It also plays a role in maintaining the structure of cell membranes and in the production of lipids (fats).
While choline is found in a variety of foods, some people may not get enough of it from their diet and may need to supplement. Choline supplements are available in a variety of forms, including capsules, tablets, powders, and liquids.
Hence, with evidence of its potential, it’s no surprise that choline supplements are growing in popularity as a source for improving health.
Pure Nootropics Optimal Choline Complex
Pure Nootropics offers a choline supplement called Optimal Choline Complex. Their supplement contains compounds that may improve cognition and promote mood support. Their Optimal Choline Complex contains both CDP Choline (also known as Citicoline) and Alpha GPC, the most powerful choline supplements.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex is made from a combination of the purest forms of choline.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex supplement contains a potent source of choline, citicoline. Citicoline is established as a source of choline that offers both nutritional benefits and nootropic properties. Citicoline is characterized as a brain nutrient that works to improve cognitive function, focus, health, and mental energy [R].
CDP choline is a critical building block for brain cell structure and function, playing an important role in cognition.
Cerebral metabolism increases after taking this substance due to its ability to increase the production of structural phospholipids within neural membranes which can be found throughout your entire body's system - not just inside nerve endings as some people think [R].
This means that choline has a significant impact on general health too because it helps regulate things like moods or blood pressure levels by acting directly onto neurotransmitters such as dopamine.
Hence, the presence of citicoline works to ensure a regulated supply of CDP-choline which helps to support the growth and regeneration of synapses and neuronal membranes located in the brain. The result of citicoline’s effect of boosting phospholipid metabolism is an increase in brain function such as memory and improved brain health.
Citicoline has also been shown in some studies to protect cell membranes by accelerating the resynthesis of phospholipids and suppressing the release of fatty acids, stabilizing them, and protecting against free radical generation [R].
These effects aid in maintaining brain health and promoting healthy neuronal signaling and neurotransmitter production. Its protective properties work to improve neuroplasticity which helps to ensure the maintained restoration and growth of healthy neurons.
The intake of citicoline may also help to boost mood. Studies have shown that citicoline is effective in enhancing levels of dopamine in the brain [R].
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex supplement contains another potent choline source, Alpha-GPC. Alpha GPC is characterized as a choline source that provides nootropic benefits as a result of its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier also referred to as BBB [R].
It is a choline-containing phospholipid that is naturally present in the brain.
Alpha GPC plays an important role in brain cell membranes and is involved in a variety of cellular processes. Alpha GPC is also the precursor for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is involved in memory and learning.
Supplementing with Alpha GPC has been shown to increase levels of acetylcholine in the brain, and to improve cognitive function in elderly adults [R].
Additionally, Alpha GPC has been shown to protect the brain from damage caused by stroke and other injuries.
These beneficial effects are thought to be mediated by alpha GPC's ability to increase levels of nerve growth factor (NGF) in the brain [R].
NGF is a protein that promotes the growth and survival of neurons. Therefore, by increasing levels of NGF, alpha GPC may help to protect the brain from damage and improve cognitive function.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex contains 60 capsules for 60 servings. As the product is classified as a dietary supplement, it is recommended that 1 capsule be taken daily.
You get 200 mg of Citicoline and 100 mg of Alpha GPC in one (1) dose.
It is advised that the capsules be taken with a meal to accelerate its effects of stimulating acetylcholine replenishment and synthesis. This acceleration leads to the promotion of receptor growth which works to increase brain nutrient levels.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex supplement offers a flexible dosage. This makes it an ideal standalone choline supplement as well as an ideal supplement for stacking as it works well with a range of other products.
It’s important to note that the dosage should be taken as recommended by the instructions or as recommended by a healthcare professional. You should not exceed the intake of 2 capsules within 24 hours as this may lead to health complications.
It’s advised that this choline supplement should not be taken by anyone pregnant, breastfeeding, or under the age of 18. If you’re unsure about whether choline supplements are right for you, be sure to seek advice from your healthcare practitioner for more information.
It’s important to note that exceeding the recommended dosage may result in experiencing side effects that may include:
- Increased salivation
- Fishy body odor
- Liver toxicity
It's worth pointing out that if you're looking to get all the nootropic benefits of choline, it's hard to get the recommended dose through food sources. Hence, the best option is to take a choline supplement.
Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex is designed to complete acetylcholine replenishment in order to promote balance and improve essential neurotransmitter levels and other important brain functions.
This product contains properties that make it an ideal supplement for using to improve cognitive functions such as memory, focus and reducing anxiety to improve mood. Containing Alpha GPC, Pure Nootropics’ Optimal Choline Complex supplement is highly effective in supporting the nervous system and improving brain function.
Features to Consider when Choosing the Best Choline Supplements
- Form - Supplements come in all different forms, whether it be as a powdered extract or a capsule. Choline supplements most commonly come in pill form as a capsule or a tablet. How you choose to take your supplements is something to consider if, for say, you have trouble swallowing pills. It's also important to consider whether you require supplements that align with your dietary requirements if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. Be sure to check the ingredients contained in the supplements and their outer coating.
- Dosage - The recommended dosage for choline supplements can range anywhere from 100 mg to 650 mg per serving. If you are unsure about what the recommended dosage is for you, be sure to consult your healthcare practitioner for guidance.
- Nootropic - Choline is considered a powerful nootropic for improving brain health and cognitive functions. It’s a nutrient that aids in the maintenance of liver and brain function.
Types of Choline Supplements
- Choline bitartrate - is considered to be the simplest form of a choline supplement. With a relatively high density, it’s characterized as an effective supplement as a choline source for increasing nutrient levels. However, human studies show that it is ineffective in producing nootropic effects as it is inefficient in its attempt at crossing the blood-brain barrier [R]. Unable to do so, choline bitartrate is ineffective in improving cognitive performance.
- Alpha-GPC - is similar to choline bitartrate in its density. However, it is more effective in crossing the blood-brain barrier which enables it to produce nootropic effects. Studies show that Alpha-GPC’s nootropic properties may aid in alleviating cognitive impairment, and improve brain functions such as improving memory, concentration, and attention [R]. With the results of effective research, Alpha-GPC is characterized as one of the best choline supplements.
- Citicoline - is another powerful choline source. Though not as potent as Alpha-GPC, Citicoline is effective in producing regenerative effects that aid in improving brain health and function. It works by increasing the levels of essential phospholipids in the brain which helps to repair damaged cell membranes and improve communication between cells [R]. CDP-Choline is one of the most effective nootropics available, but it can be pricey.
Where to Buy Choline Supplements?
Choline supplements are widely available in stores and online. However, as a powerful nutrient, it’s important that you ensure you are getting a high-quality product that is legitimate.
Always take a look at the reviews and feedback of products to check that it aligns with what you’re looking for. It’s also always a good idea to check for relevant validations and certifications to check the quality of the product.
Pure Nootropics is a leading nootropic brand that offers fast worldwide shipping. They offer a wide range of nootropics made from cutting-edge natural ingredients.
Their noots are made of the most effective compounds and ingredients and are validated and tested by independent and accredited labs to prove their standard of quality.
Reddit Reviews About Choline Supplements
Citicoline experience - “I have used it for several months and I definitely notice improved cognition. I remember things easier and can put together concepts to make quick decisions…”
Alpha-GPC experience - “What I was most surprised by was its ability to boost athletic performance and recovery. You feel more in control of your body and how it moves, the fine muscle movements and coordination are increased substantially.”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Your questions answered.
Is it Okay For Children to Take Choline Supplements?
As choline is classified as a necessary nutritional compound for the development of the brain and body, studies show that children can benefit from the effects of choline. However, it’s important that you consult with a pediatrician before starting a child on any supplement.
What is a Choline Deficiency?
Though rare, some people have a choline deficiency.
Having a choline deficiency can have significant harmful effects on the body causing damage to areas of the body such as the liver.
Common symptoms associated with choline deficiency include:
- Muscle damage
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
Who's at Risk of Choline Deficiency?
Studies show that there are certain groups of people that are more at risk of having a choline deficiency [R].
These categories include:
- Pregnant women - This frequently occurs as a result of women requiring higher levels of choline as a result of pregnancy.
- Athletes - This may occur as the result of the performance of endurance exercises which reduce the level of choline in the body.
- Postmenopausal women - This may occur as a result of the decline in estrogen production which plays a significant role in choline levels.
Choline is an essential component that the body requires in order to maintain healthy bodily functions. Whilst choline levels can be increased by eating the right foods and having a balanced diet, those with low levels of choline may need a little extra help.
Choline supplements provide a solution of increasing nutritional value as well as offering a host of additional benefits. The supplements we’ve shown you are the best choline supplements for cognitive health and function. Each contains different sources of choline that provide nootropic benefits and work to improve brain health.