Piracetam is a nootropic that is tagged as a “smart drug” for its promise of improved cognitive function and better mental health.
Wondering if it might be the next supplement that could take you to the next level?
Let’s find out in this Piracetam review.
What is Piracetam?
Piracetam [R] pills are first developed in the ’60s for the treatment of cognitive impairment among adults. It was touted as a supplement to prevent seizures and learning disabilities as well.
Although it is an original member of the racetam family, it is less potent than the other widely used nootropics. Racetams are nootropics that are designed to improve cognitive functions [R].
This one is derived from the amino acid gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA and is used mainly to enhance mental ability.
Its clinical researches focused on the elderly with cases of dementia, schizophrenia, and other related neurodegenerative disorders.
What is the Use of Piracetam?
The compound is approved as a treatment pill for seizure disorders in Europe.
The basic use of the capsules is no longer limited to the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, et al. It is now also popular as a “smart drug” thus being sold as a nootropic.
ALSO READ: BrainPill Review: Worth Buying?
The supplement poses potential health benefits to people who have undergone surgeries for fear of post-surgery brain impairment.
Benefits & Effects
Piracetam is a potential alternative to other synthetically created supplements that may enhance brain health and functionality.
The answer to the question of its benefits is in reviews such as this.
- Enhance brain function: Clinical studies have shown that the pill works on animals by making their cell membranes more fluid. In that state, the cells and their mechanisms are boosted to send and receive signals. In human studies, this might help adult brains who have mental issues because of less fluid in their cell membranes.
- Reduce indication of dyslexia: Dyslexia is a learning disorder affecting cognition making at hard to learn, read, and spell. A study on children with dyslexia showed significant learning improvement after treated with Piracetam.
- Reduce myoclonic seizures: People affected by myoclonic seizures makes it difficult for them to eat, write, or move around. This seizure is described as sudden involuntary spasms. Daily doses show the effects on adults. Their symptoms improved and it reduced the overall severity of the seizures.
- Prevent Alzheimer’s disease: Alzheimer’s disease is a common cause of dementia which affects cognitive ability. This happens when there is a build-up of amyloid-beta peptides that clump together between nerve cells disrupting their function. It prevents the damage caused by the peptides and so protecting the brain from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Relieve inflammation: When we feel pain, our body is reacting to heal and fight diseases. And whenever there is pain, there is inflammation. Recurring inflammation sometimes leads to chronic conditions. Piracetam has anti-oxidant properties that reduce inflammation while enhancing the brain’s natural defenses that become depleted as you age.
How Does It Work in the Brain?
Known as a nootropic, it shows positive actions in the brain.
- Nurture brain circulation: Adequate blood flow produces many positive effects on the brain. Better cognitive function leading to enhanced memory and focus are a product of improved brain metabolism that takes place when the brain has enough supply of oxygen avoiding cognitive impairment.
- Increased acetylcholine: In a study with rodents in 1988, it was discovered that it increases this acetylcholine in the brain which is responsible for sharper memory and better cognition.
- Signal transmissions in the brain: The transference between the hemispheres of the brain is important to body coordination. Motor skills are greatly affected without the signals being transmitted to vital parts of the brain. It speeds up the transmissions and enhances the communicative signal responses between the different hemispheres of the brain.
Science and clinical trials prescribe Piracetam dose to achieve the desired result.
It may take effect on the following dosage guide.
- Memory: 1.2 – 4.8 grams
- Dyslexia: up to 3.3 grams
- Mental disorders: 2.4 – 4.8 grams
- Myoclonic seizures: 7.2 – 24 grams
In one study, the recommended dosage for adults and children are prescribed as follows:
- Children: 40mg – 100mg per kg of body weight per day
- Adults: 1,200mg – 4,800mg per day and a maximum of 1,600mg taken three times daily to maximize the effect
It may be taken into hourly increments or at once. If you are under any condition, it is still best to speak with your doctor before taking the product.
Human studies have shown little side effects.
The effects Piracetam shows are mostly interaction with medications. Knowing these possible adverse effects in the body may protect you from possible harm.
Some people may experience the following side effects:
- weight gain
UCB pharma who also studies Piracetam indicates that before any consumption, it is best to consult the doctor for proper medical advice and prescription.
To get some idea of how this derivative of the neurotransmitter works, here are the experiences of some users taken from Reddit.
According to grandelattes:
“Has anyone experienced tremors while using piracetam?
Back in the day when I only consumed piracetam without gotu kola, choline, and Methylcobalamin, I regularly experience from mild to strong tremors. It’s a bit inconvenient but upon consulting with my neurologist, they lowered my dosage and added Methylcobalamin to my prescription. I wonder if any of you, who’s using it for only enhancement, without any brain injury history experience a similar thing.”
According to neogodsown:
“Experience with lowering Cortisol to fully utilize the benefits of Piracetam
High Cortisol lowers the memory-enhancing effect of Piracetam. I can personally vouch that Piracetam improves my learning, but my memory not so much. Anyone experienced this. If so what did you do to overcome it?”
Now that you have a basic understanding of how Pireaceta works, you can now look at the range of nootropics and medical drugs that are best stacked with it.
When buying Piracetam you can also look at other drugs that have a myriad of positive reactions to the brain when taken together.
Piracetam and choline lead to increased production of acetylcholine that is important in brain function and health.
Choline is an essential nutrient of the brain and can be obtained through regular diet however only at low levels. To experience the full benefit of Piracetam, there should be an adequate amount of choline in the brain.
It may also be stacked with other racetams like the ones on this list.
Other Racetams & Nootropics
- PAO Stack (Piracetam, Aniracetam and Oxiracetam): This racetam family is recommended as they act in synergy to provide the best benefits to the brain. This stack is not for beginners. It as advised choosing between Aniracetam and Oxiracetam first and work it up before using all three. Aniracetam alleviates anxiety and improves verbal fluency while Oxiracetam improves mood, entry, and motivation.
- Pramiracetam: The use of this combination is considered the most potent but more intense. But it has to be taken with food since Pramiracetam is fat-soluble.
- Huperzine A: Derived from the Huperzine plant, this is known to extend the effects of Piracetam and prevent the enzyme that breakdown the levels of acetylcholine in the brain.
- L-theanine and caffeine: This is another effective combo known to improve focus and increase the efficacy of Piracetam.
Where to Buy Piracetam Powder & Capsules?
There are many places that have Piracetam for sale online. However, it is best to buy from a website that meets the quality standards in this field. It is sometimes available in the market under the brand name of Nootropil.
It may be best purchased from this vendor. They sell trusted compounds with CoA and ship worldwide.
Like for any other drugs, some stores may require a prescription before you can purchase. Piracetam prices may also vary depending on location.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You may think that this product is for you. But in case you still have further questions, they may be answered here.
Is It Safe?
Consumption of nootropic drugs such as this is generally safe as long as it is taken in the right amount and consistency. However, this is not safe to be taken by pregnant and lactating women.
Is It Legal?
Although it is not approved by the FDA in the US, other countries that have less regulated sales sell it in drugstores or online.
How to Take Piracetam?
Piracetam may be sold in capsules or powder. It may be taken with water in hourly increments or at once according to the prescribed dosage. Some take it every four to six hours for optimal mental capacity.
How Long Does It Last?
The benefits of the drug are often attained after one and a half hours after taking it. It usually lasts within five hours but it takes eight hours to leave the central nervous system, and 30 hours to leave the body completely.
While it is true that Piracetam is one of the most promising nootropics, it only has few medical studies and most of it, if not dated, are animal based studies and research.
Comparatively, it is less potent compared to other nootropics but its other health benefits are remarkable.
It is most beneficial to older adults with mental impairment but it is also recommended to be taken by children and young adults relative to their needs.
It is safe to use while most effective only when stacked with other nootropics.