In this article, we'll take a deep dive into the 14 best nootropics on the market for energy. We will look at the benefits of each nootropic, how they work in the brain, and what the science says.
We've all been there – feeling fatigued, lethargic, low on energy, and completely unmotivated.
What if you could just take a pill that would make you instantly energetic and alert?
Wouldn't that be great?
Well, as it turns out, quite a few nootropics can provide this type of energy boost.
So if you're looking for the best nootropics to get energized without relying sorely on caffeine, this article is for you!
Best Nootropics for Energy
- Vyvamind — Best for increasing mental energy
- NooCube — Best for improving mental stamina and working memory
- Mind Lab Pro — Best for optimal brain performance
- Citicoline — Great for improving information retention and recall
- Rhodiola Rosea — Great for reducing stress-induced fatigue
- Caffeine — Best for boosting alertness and attention
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine — Great for improving overall energy levels
- Curcumin — Great anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects
- L-Theanine — Best for promoting relaxation and boosting energy
- Phenylpiracetam — Great for enhancing endurance
- Modafinil — Great for increasing alertness and wakefulness
- Noopept — Great for increasing mental clarity and productivity
- Oxiracetam — Best for enhancing cognitive alertness
- Sulbutiamine — Great for boosting motivation and drive
How to Choose the Best Nootropics for Energy?
When selecting the best nootropics for energy, it's crucial to weigh various factors to find the one that aligns with your cognitive needs and lifestyle. The selection process isn't one-size-fits-all, so understanding these factors can guide you to the ideal choice for your energetic boost.
Why It's Important
The nootropic should have a track record of providing a noticeable increase in energy.
Ensures you are investing in a product that works.
Ingredients should be safe for consumption and have minimal risk of adverse side effects.
To avoid health risks and ensure long-term usability.
The ingredients should work well together to enhance each other's effects.
Synergistic effects can lead to a more balanced and effective energy boost.
The form (pill, powder, liquid) that the nootropic comes in can affect its absorption and convenience of use.
Convenient and efficient delivery of the nootropic is key for consistent use.
The nootropic should be supported by scientific research confirming its benefits.
Gives credibility to the energy-boosting claims.
- Efficacy: It's fundamental that the nootropic has a proven efficacy in boosting energy levels. This ensures that your investment results in tangible, beneficial outcomes.
- Ingredient Safety: Safety is paramount when ingesting any supplement. A nootropic should consist of components that are not only effective but also pose minimal risks to your health.
- Synergy: The nootropic's ingredients should have a complementary effect, working together to augment energy levels without causing overstimulation or energy crashes.
- Formulation: Whether in capsules, powders, or liquids, the formulation should suit your lifestyle and ease of use. It should also promote optimal absorption into your system.
- Scientific Backing: Scientifically-backed ingredients lend credibility to a nootropic's energy-boosting claims. It's essential to choose a supplement with ingredients that have been rigorously tested and validated for this purpose.
The Best Nootropics for Energy of 2023
Nootropics can be natural or synthetic. Despite being two different things, they both have the components to help you enhance your mind skills, improve brain functions, and optimize your energy.
According to both scientific evidence and customer reviews, the 14 best smart drugs for energy are:
Often described as an alternative to Adderall by its users, Vyvamind is the best pre-made nootropic stack for energy.
Although Vyvamind doesn't contain many ingredients, the ones it does contain are clinically proven to be effective and work in perfect synergy to promote focus and energy throughout the day.
- Contains 6 clinically-proven brain-boosting ingredients
- Helpful for people who want an edge in business or academics
- Safe and well-tolerated by most people
- A great alternative to Adderall and other harsh stimulants
- Not suitable for people who are sensitive to caffeine
NooCube is a cognitive supplement that helps your brain focus, retain information, and boost your memory.
It provides a synergistic blend of vitamins, minerals, and other essential building materials for a healthy, well-functioning brain.
NooCube is a proprietary blend of natural ingredients such as Alpha GPC, Huperzine A, Cat's Claw, Bacopa monnieri, oat straw, L-theanine, and L-tyrosine.
It does not contain caffeine, unlike many other nootropics, but still gives you a clean boost in energy.
- Contains clinically proven ingredients that work synergistically
- Boosts cognitive function, energy levels and supports memory retention
- All-natural formula
- You need to take it regularly for maximum benefit
3. Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is marketed as the world's first universal nootropic and is intended to boost all aspects of cognitive function.
It contains 11 clinically-proven brain-boosting ingredients that will support memory, focus, concentration, mental clarity, energy, and learning.
Mind Lab Pro does not contain caffeine, but it does include ingredients that complement it, improving its effect significantly. For a smooth lift, take 2 capsules with your morning coffee. Clean, calm, jitter-free mental energy is needed to power up for the day.
Mind Lab Pros:
- You get 11 powerful nootropic compounds in one blend
- It can help improve focus, energy, memory, and cognitive function
- The capsules are easy to take and don’t have any unpleasant taste
- It is vegan-friendly and has no artificial colors or preservatives
Mind Lab Pro Cons:
- Can be a bit pricey if you're on a tight budget
Citicoline is a nootropic compound that enhances focus, attention, and overall mental performance. This supplement also raises dopamine and acetylcholine levels associated with all executive brain functions like memory and learning.
Citicoline is usually used as a foundational supplement for the nootropics stack due to its safe interactions with other memory-enhancing drugs. It is also easily absorbed by the body and has high bioavailability.
Citicoline is also a research-backed nootropic. A clinical study shows that supplementation with a higher dosage of Citicoline significantly improves older adults’ mental processing and cognitive functions (1).
- Boosts cognitive function
- Increases dopamine and acetylcholine levels
- Improves memory and energy
- Helps protect the brain from age-related damage
- May interact with certain medications such as antiparkinsonian drugs
5. Rhodiola Rosea
Rhodiola Rosea is an herbal nootropic known to fight different kinds of stress. Russian, Chinese, and Scandinavian traditional medicines commonly use this herb to combat fatigue or burnout.
Research shows that Rhodiola Rosea has physical and mental benefits as a powerful adaptogen that prevents the negative effects of stress (2). Aside from this, Rhodiola also improves mood, restores energy, and protects the brain from toxin damage.
It was also shown that Rhodiola is effective in combating chronic fatigue produced by repetitive low-intensity movements or prolonged high stress (3). While this may not be as effective for professional athletes, Rhodiola may help energize both mind and body after a grueling day.
Rhodiola Rosea Pros:
- An adaptogen that helps the body better cope with physical and mental stress
- Improves cognitive function and reduces fatigue
- Shown to have anti-anxiety and antidepressant effects
- Mental energy booster
Rhodiola Rosea Cons:
- Can be hard to find high-quality Rhodiola Rosea in stores
Caffeine is probably the best natural nootropic that you can get your hands on. This nootropic is often used in various everyday beverages such as coffee, tea, and energy drinks.
According to various studies, this psychoactive drug improves focus, mood, and alertness (4). Caffeine also blocks adenosine receptors in the brain, which helps your body feel less tired and more alert.
Aside from being a source of energy, Caffeine also gives you faster reaction times. The physical and mental energy you get from a caffeine supplement will be beneficial as you review for an exam or stay awake to be more productive.
- Boosts alertness
- Fights drowsiness
- Increases focus and mental energy
- Heightens concentration
- Not suitable for people with General Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is one powerful nootropic that enhances cognition and fights physical and mental fatigue. ACLAR also combats aging effects by improving the brain function of people with age-related cognitive decline.
ACLAR also crosses the blood-brain barrier easily and works within the brain cells by maintaining cellular integrity. This naturally-occurring nutrient is also a precursor of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter associated with learning.
- Aids in the production of energy
- Enhances cognitive function and memory
- Helpful in age-related cognitive decline
- Shown to help treat depression
- May cause fishy body odor in high dosages
Curcumin is a natural nootropic that is an active component of turmeric, a powerful antioxidant.
This turmeric component shows potential neuroprotective efficacy as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, which can protect your body against free radicals and inflammation (5). Taking this brain-boosting supplement could also support your cognitive function and promote a healthy mood.
Curcumin could also boost neurogenesis, the production of brain cells essential for learning. It also stimulates neurotransmitters such as serotonin associated with good mood, cognition, and focus.
- A natural anti-inflammatory that can help to ease pain
- The potential to improve cognitive function and energy levels
- Has neuroprotective effects
- Helps to improve symptoms of depression
- Most of the benefits only come when stacked with black pepper (Piperine)
L-Theanine, which you can find in green tea, is one amino acid that modulates brain functions. It supports the production of certain brain chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin.
Theanine influences your mood, emotion, sleep, and how your body deals with the causes of stress. This compound also aids in producing alpha waves in the brain, which leads to restful alertness.
Users usually combine (also called stacking) L-Theanine with caffeine as it balances the substance’s jittery effects through its calming benefits.
A study also shows how taking L-Theanine with caffeine and L-Tyrosine may enhance energy production in athletes whose sports require fast body movements (6).
- Can improve cognitive function and mental alertness
- Helps reduce stress and anxiety
- Can improve sleep quality
- Works extremely well for energy when stacked with caffeine
- Causes drowsiness in high doses
Phenylpiracetam is a nootropic from the Racetam family. It is a derivative of Piracetam, another nootropic compound. This nootropic’s only difference with Piracetam is the added phenyl ring, the same structure as amphetamines.
Aside from its brain-boosting effects and improvement in energy levels and well-being, Phenylpiracetam also has anxiolytic properties that improve mood and reduce anxiety levels when in a high-stress environment.
Russian cosmonauts use this nootropic to combat stress when working in space without affecting memory and cognitive performance.
- Increases focus
- Encourages wakefulness
- Boosts motivation and energy levels
- Heightens sensory perception
- Hard to get your hands on
- Can be expensive
Modafinil is a powerful stimulant for wakefulness, a drug developed to treat narcolepsy and other sleep disorders.
Aside from inducing wakefulness and alertness, it also has a list of brain-boosting benefits like enhancing focus and memory, stimulating the mind, and increasing motivation, productivity, and energy. It has also been shown to improve mood even for people who are in a sleep-deprived state (7).
Modafinil also helps reduce fatigue perception and extend the time to exhaustion during high-intensity exercise.
- A powerful nootropic that can help to improve focus, energy and motivation
- A wakeful drug that can help people to stay awake for long periods of time
- Can help to improve cognitive function in those with sleep disorders
- Have potential as a treatment for ADHD
- You need a prescription to obtain it in most countries
Noopept is a fast-acting nootropic that contains both stimulant and anxiolytic properties. This supplement is also known for its memory-enhancing benefits and as a treatment for cognitive impairments.
Since we can use it as a treatment for cognitive decline, most research on Noopept is done on people with impairments like neurodegeneration, stroke, and other brain diseases (8).
Meaning to say we still don’t have any reported studies on Noopept’s effect on healthy humans. However, since it helps boost mind functions and enhance motivation, the reports from users are positive.
- Improves memory and recall
- Enhances learning and comprehension
- Aids in focus and concentration
- Heightens sense of well-being and motivation
- Relatively expensive compared to other nootropics
- Not sold in stores and hard to find online
Oxiracetam is a potent nootropic that enhances many mental processes like long-term memory, focus, and verbal fluency. It is a synthetic derivative of piracetam, a known potent nootropic.
Aside from the brain-enhancing benefits, Oxiracetam also acts as a mild psychostimulant that may enhance mental energy and motivation. This may offer you increased endurance to quickly perform various tasks without feeling tired. In an animal study, this nootropic shows help inhibit sleep and promote alertness by enhancing blood flow in the brain, thus improving energy metabolism (9).
- Improves cognitive function
- Enhances memory
- Aids in learning and energy
- Hard to find high-quality Oxiracetam
- Not sold in stores
Sulbutiamine is a derivative of Vitamin B1 or Thiamine. A lab in Japan developed this synthetic derivative to treat chronic fatigue and beriberi, a nervous disorder caused by a B1 deficiency.
While Sulbutiamine treats fatigue and thiamine deficiency, it may also benefit healthy people as it boosts memory and improves mental performance by promoting brain chemicals like acetylcholine.
Sulbutiamine may also boost your energy and mood by increasing glutamate levels.
- Boosts acetylcholine and energy levels
- Improves mental clarity and focus
- Enhances mood and motivation
- May interfere with sleep in some people
What to Consider Before Buying Nootropics for Energy?
Before making a purchase, it's wise to consider several key aspects that can influence the effectiveness and suitability of nootropics for your energy needs. These considerations can help narrow down the options and ensure you select the best nootropic for your specific requirements.
1. Your Specific Goals
It's vital to consider what you're trying to achieve with nootropics. Are you seeking to enhance your cognitive endurance during work, improve your reaction times for gaming, or simply seeking a sustainable daily energy boost? Tailor your choice to your specific goals.
2. Potential Interactions
Consider any medications or supplements you are currently taking to avoid possible negative interactions. Some nootropics can influence the metabolism of other drugs, leading to decreased efficacy or enhanced side effects.
3. Lifestyle Compatibility
Assess whether the nootropic fits into your daily routine. For instance, if you travel frequently, choosing a nootropic that doesn't require refrigeration and comes in a travel-friendly form would be best.
4. Short-term vs. Long-term Use
Determine whether you're looking for a nootropic for occasional use, such as pulling an all-nighter, or for a sustainable long-term energy boost without the risk of tolerance or dependency.
5. Budget and Value
Evaluate the cost-effectiveness of the nootropic. A higher price doesn't always equate to a better product. Consider the cost per dose, the number of active ingredients, and the presence of any filler substances that may dilute the nootropic's potency.
How We Picked the Top Nootropics for Energy
We employed a comprehensive review process to identify the best nootropics for boosting energy levels. Our evaluation took into account factors such as effectiveness, ingredients, brand reputation, transparency, manufacturing process, user reviews, pricing, and overall value. This allowed us to present a reliable and well-rounded list of the top energy-enhancing nootropics.
We examined both clinical trials and user experiences to assess energy enhancement, paying special attention to endurance, mental alertness, and sustained concentration.
We meticulously evaluated each formula, placing emphasis on proven, natural, and high-quality ingredients that effectively increase energy levels.
We referred to peer-reviewed research and meta-analyses to confirm the potency of essential ingredients in promoting energy.
We evaluated optimal dosages and ingredient ratios, ensuring they align with recognized research for maximum efficiency.
We ensured the safety of each ingredient by considering potential side effects and interactions, and confirming compliance with regulatory standards. FDA-approved components were prioritized.
We assessed brands' integrity and reliability by analyzing customer testimonials, expert endorsements, and the company's track record.
We valued complete ingredient disclosure, including the sources and concentrations, empowering consumers to make well-informed decisions.
We scrutinized manufacturing standards, giving preference to products made in certified facilities and adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
We analyzed authentic customer feedback, emphasizing reviews that highlight energy enhancement and cognitive performance improvements.
We compared product prices, making sure they were competitive and consistent with the quality and effectiveness of the energy nootropic.
We evaluated the overall value, weighing the balance between price, quality, and effectiveness to ensure the best return on investment.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Nootropics For Energy?
The benefits of using nootropics for energy are many. Nootropics can be beneficial for people who want to:
- Increase their focus and concentration
- Improve their cognitive function
- Enhance their memory
- Boost their energy levels
- Improve their mental clarity
- Reduce stress and anxiety
Regarding the benefits of nootropics for energy, it’s important to remember that not all nootropics are created equal. Some are more effective than others. The best way to find the right nootropic for you is to experiment and see what works best for you.
If you're looking for a place to start, we recommend Mind Lab Pro. Mind Lab Pro will give you the energy you need to power through your day while also providing other benefits like improved cognitive function and memory.
What Are The Side Effects Of Cognitive Enhancers For Energy?
The side effects of cognitive enhancers for energy vary depending on the nootropic you take. As we briefly alluded to, some nootropics can cause jitters and anxiety in some people. If you’re sensitive to stimulants, it’s best to avoid them.
Other side effects may include:
Some nootropic compounds can also interact with other medications you’re taking, such as SSRIs and blood thinners. Be sure to consult your doctor before taking any nootropics, especially if you have any medical conditions or are taking prescription medications.
Nootropics for Energy Boost in Summary
All in all, nootropics are a great way to boost your energy levels and cognitive function. They come in different forms, so it's important that you do your due diligence on which type of nootropic is best for you. Experiment and find the one that works best for you.
If you're looking for a great place to start, we recommend Mind Lab Pro. Mind Lab Pro is a well-rounded nootropic that will give you the energy you need to power through your day while also providing other benefits like improved cognitive function and memory.
According to our research, the most effective ingredients for energy are featured in nootropic blends like Mind Lab Pro, Vyvamind, and NooCube, which help with focus, concentration, and energy. These blends are all-natural and safe for most people to take, but as always, be sure to consult with your doctor before taking any nootropic supplement.